City Councilman Ira Slaven is also new to the City Council. Slaven was born on Mary Street in Taylor, educated in Taylor Schools and graduated from Taylor Center High School. He has lived his entire life in the community, retired from the Taylor Fire Department as a Fire Inspector and was a member of Local 1252 International Association of Fire Fighters.
Ira served his country in the U.S. Air Force. While on active duty in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, he joined Bethel Masonic Lodge in Sault Saint Marie, and upon being honorably discharged, transferred to Taylor’s Golden Ark Masonic Lodge, where he has been active for many years. He has also been extremely active in many other charitable organizations.
During his tenure on the fire department he was involved in the Goodfellows. He was also an active member of the Taylor Metropolitan Club, which had a loan closet for crutches, wheel chairs, hospital beds and many other items, all free of charge to Taylor residents. The Metropolitan Club was an organization made up of Firemen, Policemen, Postal Workers and School Employees.
He and his wife Gayle, have five children, Joseph, Judith, Joanna, Jayson and Jessica; they have 8 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild.
- Fire inspector, Taylor Fire Department (retired)
- Member Local 1252, International Association of Fire Fighters
- U.S. Air Force (retired)
- Member, Taylor's Gold Ark Masonic Lodge
- CEO of Grand Lodge of Michigan 2007-08
- Presiding officer, Scottish Rite Masons
- Awarded 33rd degree in Masonry (2005)
- Member of the Shriners for over 50 years
- Past president of Park Shrine Club and charter member of Taylor Shrine Club
- Presiding officer Nankin Chapter Order of Eastern Star
- Former member Taylor Metropolitan Club
- Taylor Northwest Little League coach, board member, treasurer
- Active in Taylor High School Food Pantry